Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Mystery of Social Protocol

Today I was walking down the sidewalk to go to my class, and a friend of mine happened to be walking in the opposite direction. Whenever that I happens, I'm reminded about how awkward I really am.

First off, there's the question of whether or not I should even acknowledge them. I could pull out my phone, or pretend to be super interested in something in the other direction so that I don't notice them, or I could just walk past as if I don't even recognize them at all. The problem with this is that I keep glancing over at them to see if they're going to say hello first. Then if you have both obviously seen each other, should I just say hi and get it over with?

That's not even the biggest issue though. What I can never decide is when to say hello. So, I'm walking down the sidewalk, and I see my friend who I know well enough to definitely say hi to, but they're still a ways down the sidewalk, and I never know what to do in that awkward walking time in between.

Should I just stare at this person for the entire fifteen seconds it takes us to be close enough for a hello to be appropriate, or should I just look straight forward and casually glance over once the gap has closed off a bit? I end up doing a strange hybrid of the two approaches, glancing over and then quickly looking away until we're close enough for me to mumble an awkward, "hi..."

and then we pass and it's over.

and then I spend the rest of my time walking to class wondering if everyone think's I'm really awkward, and I should just give up on trying to have any friends.

On a happier but totally unrelated note, it snowed today! Only October 3rd, and there's already snow. (On October third, he asked me what day it was. It's October third. Anybody?) It didn't stick to the ground or anything, but it was very nippy. And delightful. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment